Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
NOVEMBER 25, 2009
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:33a.m. September 2009 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
- Current appropriation and overtime status summary passed out and reviewed
- Discussion on purchasing gas from Barky Mart- waiting on cards from station
- Siren tower- Contacted Randy Weaver he is waiting on us to purchase supplies. Committee discussed and advised we want to put something up that is safe.
- Two letter have been sent out reference Hiram Dispatching agreement. Hiram Fire is ready to move. Hiram Police/College are working on alarms and information
- Letters to Auxiliary Officers were sent reference their obligation for hours. Shawn Gahagan intends to resign, this will take place after the first of the year
- Handicap parking on High Street at the Post office. Chief and Committee discussed the issue of parking in this area. A lot is provided with handicap spaces. When exiting vehicle people would have to walk into High Street and their safety would be an issue. Other handicap parking spots on Main and Prospect have no other parking lot options available. Committee agreed this is not a good idea
- Concerned Senior Citizens have expressed the issue of the traffic light walk/don’t walk signal not staying on long enough. Half way into the intersection it changes. Chief would like to see it extended an additional 5 seconds. Committee agreed. Chief will send correspondence to Ed Trego.
- A concern with the traffic pattern for the turn lanes. Locations would be McDonalds, north bound, High Street, north and south bound, High School, north bound. Would like to get signs advising of traffic direction. May be able to contact ODOT. Committee agreed and Chief will send correspondence to Ed Trego.
- Rodney Terry has contacted Chief reference coming back as Auxiliary Officer. Chief contacted Michele reference how this would effect his eligibility for a call back from layoff. Michele indicated after March 12, 2010 there would be no guarantee, anyone could apply if a position came open.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: Correspondence sent to Ed Trego reference signage for turning lane and Correspondence sent to Ed Trego reference crossing signal at traffic light.
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: January 28, 2010 @ 6:30 a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:05 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police