Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
October 28, 2010
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, and Linda Schilling
MEMBERS ABSENT: Giles Seith excused and Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:30 a.m. September 30th minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Linda, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
- Appropriation statuses to date- We are were we are supposed to be- doing well. Overtime Report to date -savings of $2500.00 compared to last year.
- Siren Tower – Nothing new, waiting on parts to come in
- Pumpkin Roll and Trick or Treat – Ready to go. Received several complaints about changing date of Trick or Treat
- Chief spoke to Mantaline reference the camera system for park. Mantaline has no problem in assisting us. Linda Schilling suggests to move forward Marty will take the information to Park Committee to see if they have funding available.
- MSFD has asked for freeze on Dispatch contract for one year- Committee discussed and agreed and recommends to go to finance committee on November 11, 2010.
- We are in the process of hiring Auxiliary Officer we are down to 3 applicants. We should have a recommendation to the Mayors office by December 1st or possibly hired by then. All have completed the Basic Police Officer Training Course thru Ohio.
- Chief advised Committee his concern with the 2011 Appropriation for budget cuts for Police Department. 2010 Budget $449,000 – 2011 Budget $426,000 – cut $23,000. We are only department that brought additional funds to the Village. Committee advised it has to go to 2nd reading. Chief will attend Finance Committee.
- Chief discussed with committee that the patrol car warranties are up at the end of this year except the cost of upkeep to increase. Patrol cars could be paid off, $17,500 which is a savings of approximately $517.00. This would pay a debt off and free up money.
- Chief will be off next week on vacation, also the week of Thanksgiving and the last week of December.
- Chief was contacted by Ravenna Health Department support for Motorcycle Training for Portage County. Chief sent a letter and no financial obligation is required.
- Correspondence to Clerk Jenny August to change date of next meeting
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:
ITEMS REFERRED TO FINANCE COMMITTEE: Freeze on MSFD Dispatch Contract for 1 year only
ITEMS REFERRED TO PARK COMMITTEE: Camera system for Buchert Park and area
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: DECEMBER 02, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:05 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Linda, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police