Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
September 30, 2010
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, and Giles Seith
MEMBERS ABSENT: Linda Schilling, excused and Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:35 a.m. August 26th minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
- Appropriation status to date- No major issues- may have to move money in a couple of months – able to do it within funds. Overtime Report to date is 68 ˝ hours less than last year. Savings of $6800.00. Chief OT down by 80 hours compared to last year.
- Siren Tower – Update – Purchase Order has been issued. Scott will fix light pole also. Funds will be taken out of Police Operating.
- Potato Festival – No major problems this year. Chief would like to thank the festival committee for all of their help and assistance. Chief also would like to thank festival committee for recognizing him as Grand Marshall.
- Back up system has been installed in dispatch and is operational. Currently it is backing up Dispatch and Chief’s computers. Possibility of adding Mayors.
- Mike also is working on installing the computer in dispatch that he donated
- Chief asked Marty about the carpet in dispatch, Marty advised he does have a piece to fit and will try to get it installed as soon as possible
- Trick or Treat will be from 5-7pm on October 30, 2010- Festival with pumpkin roll October 30, 2010 from 4pm -10pm there will be 3 officers out for these events.
- Handbooks have been handed out to all employees that have been in
- Marty advised that the Centennial Light was replace at the park, however it is still not working
- According to new handbook an evaluation on Chief is to be done by November 1st. Giles made motion to extend that date for a couple of months, Marty 2nd. Forms handed out.
- Due to the Vandalism and Criminal Damage at the park Chief is looking into a close circuit camera systems that would cover the areas of both pavilions. If possible we could check with Mantaline to use their internet access to get images to PD. It would be secured lines and would not interfere with their internet. Camera could be put on pole by ‘outhouse’ and at the pump station and would cover the whole park. Estimate handed out $5,000.00 for a good system and park fund may be able to help with cost. Committee agreed and suggested Chief contact Mantaline.
- Walk in the Past- Saturday, October 09, will have 2nd officer on duty for second shift
- Mayor, Chief Buchert and Linda Wilke will be attending AAA Luncheon on October 4th to receive award for pedestrian safety, no fatalities or injuries, would like to ask Donna Maynard to attend also. Committee agreed
- Snake Dance/Bonfire will be October 6, @ 1930hrs
- Chief discussed with committee a concern for cars driving on the bike path by the river bridge and Mill Street area, there is no signage. Chief recommends putting up signs so we have enforcement power. Committee advised that is not the path it is a water/sewer easement and nothing can be done at this time. Committee suggested speaking with Jeff Benner.
- MSFD/Dispatch agreement ends December 31, 2010; Asst. Chief Roosa contacted Chief Buchert and is asking for a freeze with no increase for 2011 then re-negotiate for 2012. The current contract is an increase of 3 ˝% every year since 2004. Committee discussed and agreed to send a motion to council to freeze for 2011. Chief Roosa suggested that Police Department take charge of all equipment, Chief Bucherrt declined. Committee agreed.
- Ptl. Ken Justus received the DUI Award from MADD, this is his 3rd award
- Disp. Steven Tayerle is taking a leave of absence- he was hired full time a Stow Police
- Chief is in the process of looking at applications for additional police officers and possibly a dispatcher.
- Chief looking a getting more body cameras for officers. Committee agreed
- Chief will check with Michele about moving kids out of the park area
- Finance Committee authorized to make final payment to James Clemens
- Committee suggested to keep one file with committee reports instead of each member receiving copies of everything
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Freeze for 2011 MSFD/Dispatch Agreement
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 28, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:15 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police