Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
August 28, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:42am. July minutes reviewed, motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
- Siren Tower- Galloway Steeplejack Co. contacted and spoke with Chief Buchert. The first step for the tower will be an inspection and will cost approximately $500.00. The inspection will check the entire tower and all joints. Concern is at the top where the flag pole meets the tower, it may have gathered rust. Since there has been no care to the tower for years it definitely needs an inspection. Committee discussed that fact if the siren is worked into the tower we may be able to use capital funds. It would be at least a couple of weeks before Galloway could come out – we have contacted another steeplejack also for a second opinion. Committee feels tower is a landmark and should be preserved if it can. Committee suggested to bring to Council and if everyone is on board we can move forward.
- OC & ASP training for the department is complete
- Cruiser Warranty- Chevy has advised Charles Chevorlet that they will honor the warranty but with limitations. They will only warrant to 89,000 miles. Committee discussed options, one cruiser is having transmission problems. Bruce from Charles Chevorlet recommends it since this is the first year for this model. Any major repair would have to come out of available funds and that could hurt us a lot. Committee decided to go ahead with the warranty.
- Potato Festival Orders have been published, Mayor and Clerk Treasurer have a copy. All security will be handled within the Police Department, we did not have to go outside. Potato Festival covers all security costs on the festival grounds and for the parade and stomp.
- 2008 appropriation spreadsheet thru July 31was passed out and discussed. July was a tough month due to 3 pays. Police Department has 234 hours of Overtime for the year. Last year we had 452. Savings of about $6,000.00
- Discussion of a new computer for the CAD System. Contacted Mike Zamesnic reference purchasing one computer with two hard drives to save buying 2 computers. Mike advised this cannot be done and the program would not function properly. A second computer may need to be purchased but nothing has been done at this point.
- Village Solicitor has contacted this office requesting that all future grants, when applying for and when getting grant, be brought forth to council as a resolution. He has provided me with a copy of the resolution we should use. This creates a paper trail to follow.
- Cleaning personnel – $200.00 a month, Chief would like to continue with the service. There is no problem in the budget for this year. Committee discussed and has no problem keeping it for now.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Siren/Flag Tower Restoration
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: September 25, 2008 at 6:30am
ADJOURNED: at 7:20 am, Motion to close by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police