Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
AUGUST 27, 2009

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura

MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief Matt Roosa

OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke

CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:35 a.m. July 2009 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. Current appropriation summary for Police Department passed out and reviewed. Overtime is up- due to Chief working more hours. The two retirement with payouts of almost $20,000.00 has put us behind where we should be for funding.

  2. Siren Tower- Randy Weaver offered to replace the floor of the siren tower at no cost to the Village. He would use 3” Cedar but would need a hoist. Giles advised he has a come-along. Committee agreed to move forward. Chief will contact Randy. If the Village decides to take the tower down- Ron Kotowoski has interest in it.

  3. We have signed the contract with Hiram for the dispatch contract. Hiram sent letter notification to Fire Com. We will be starting the process of getting things transferred over

  4. As of August 14th Sgt. Reitz has returned to part time duty.

  5. Chief will be attending tomorrow in Canfield for elderly crimes and missing

  6. Discussion for Ordinance reference Capital Improvement Fund and the division of it

  7. Evaluation Forms (2) for department heads had been updated and passed out. Chief also provided committee with copy of job descriptions.

  8. First letter to (3) Auxiliary Officers has been sent out reference their hours. Chief has had response from two with intentions to fulfill the 8 hours per month requested. 1 has not responded yet. Chief will wait a month and send a second letter certified.

NEW BUSINESS:

  1. Mayor is concerned with a safety issue of the second floor office. Chief has suggested an alert system that picks up body heat. Something that can be attached to the elevator door. Committee agreed. Chief will order and have installed.

  2. Police Department will be going to 10 hour shifts starting Sept. 6, 2009. This will result in less overtime, more coverage and less manpower

  3. School Starts Monday, August 31, 2009, we have found out the school zone lights are not working. There is no power to the boxes. ODOT repaired boxes with new poles, new fixtures and new boxes. Checking with school and Ed Trego to find out what account is responsible for the power. Non working lights does not change our authority to enforce. We will be setting up for traffic control- warnings will be given for the first couple weeks.

  4. Four Officers will be attending training in October for “Sexting”. In appropriate cell phone usage. Portage County Advocacy Center is hosting the training.

  5. Discussion about the on-going neighbor dispute in the area of Grand Elm and Glenwood. One neighbor is threatening to contact news channels for nothing being done. Another neighbor suggesting they may sue the village. Chief has talked with several neighbors and tried to be pro active with the situation by putting a patrol car in the area and having on duty officers patrol the area atleast once an hour. Chief is looking into traffic monitors or speed cameras. With the equipment we can identify violators. Village Solicitor and Mayor are on board. Findings so far are that most drivers are traveling 15-18 mph. No indication of excessive speed while the Police Department has been in the area.

  6. Chief advised of another neighbor dispute taking place in the 2nd Street area. One neighbor has on video tape the other neighbor putting a liquid into their drive. Several soil samples taken and will send for testing. PR just wants the behavior stopped. Village Solicitor notified of on going civil case.

  7. Potato Festival 2009 orders are done and distributed. Insurances and Bingo License are in.

  8. Discussion for raises for 2010. Chief approached committee and would like their support. No money to bring back full time position. Auxiliary officers and part time dispatch have stepped up in every way during the financial crisis. Maybe some of Hiram income can help supplement the fund. Committee agreed and would like to see what it would cost. Chief will work up a spreadsheet.

Committee Comments:

  • Committee feels vandalism seems to be under control
  • Committee would like to wait on discussion with Windham Twp. Fire until we can see how Hiram Dispatching is going to go
  • RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None

    ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None

    ITEMS TABLED: None

    NEXT MEETING: September 24, 2009 @ 6:30 a.m.

    ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:35 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Giles, 2nd by Marty all ayes.

    __________________________
    Giles Seith, Chairperson

    ______________________________
    H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police