Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
August 26, 2010

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, and Giles Seith

MEMBERS ABSENT: Linda Schilling and Matt Roosa, excused

OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke

CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:33 a.m. June minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. Appropriation status to date- only problem area is health care and it should take care of itself. Other areas are where they are suppose to be. Overtime Report to date is 45 hours less than last year. Savings of $1855.00
  2. Siren Tower Update we have a quote to update the control box and rewire it into the department. $800.00 Scotchman Electric- We have the money in Police Operating to do this. The siren would be set up on a cycle to test once a week, Sunday at Noon for approx. 15-30 sec. Committee discussed and agreed to move forward.

NEW BUSINESS:

  1. Light Post in Police Department parking lot not working. Ed Trego checked the post and found no power to photocell on post. Recommended to contact an electrician. Committee discussed and suggested Chief check with Scotchman Electric when doing siren work.
  2. Chief advised Committee- carpet in dispatch needs replaced. Marty will check on getting and installing carpet.
  3. Potato Festival General Orders are almost done. It appears that we may have to go outside the department for Festival Security. Festival will be responsible for the wage amount not the Village.
  4. Halloween Trick or Treat will be October 30, 2010 from 5-7 PM
  5. New Employee Handbook complete and ready to be given to employees. Will go into effect on September 17, 2010.
  6. Mike Zamsnick offered a Dell computer to the Police Department for Dispatch backup. Chief will be contacting Mike to discuss setup and cost.
  7. Marty advised that the 25mph sign at the south end of the Village (right by the bridge) does not reflect headlights at night. Not sure if it is our sign or ODOT. Will send correspondence to Service Department
  8. Marty advised that the Centennial Light at the park over the time capsule is out. Will do correspondence to Service Department
  9. Giles concerned with bicycle activity on Prospect Street at Elm Street.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None

ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None

ITEMS TABLED: None

NEXT MEETING: SEPTEMBER 29, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.

ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:02 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.

__________________________
Giles Seith, Chairperson

______________________________
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police