Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
July 31, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura and Giles Seith
MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:50 am. June minutes reviewed, motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
- Cruiser Warranty was turned down initially, we have now been informed that Charles Chev. Received a contract indicating we have warranty for one car. We were advised to apply for the second and we did so. Council will have to approve the warranty again.
- Siren Tower – Independent Radio Service is going to look at the tower. Also, we have two names of Steeplejacks that can possibly help us out.
- Trying to cut overtime completely, will allow employees to accumulate comp. time, down 117 hours from last year in overtime.
- Half of the department has completed the OC & ASP Training as required. The rest of the department will have training this Sunday.
- Potato Festival Schedule has been cut three shifts that the Police Department normally pays for, taking a second care off the road. If an issue arises we will pull and officer from the Festival Grounds. Festival pays for everything on the grounds.
- Applied for a Federal Grant for Night Goggles – no cost to the Village. The grant is designed for small municipalities, all the criteria is there for our department.
- Looking to replace the CAD computer – TAC the software supplier, Suggests to take CAD out of the whole system and put it on a stand alone only. Use the computer we now have as a work station. Funds would come out of Police Capitol.
- Last Sunday Portage County Park Systems held a Run, Bike, Run event. Approx. 50 participants, no problems with the event and they are looking to come back next year. We were able to handle it without additional staff. However, the possibility of a rep. helping with traffic next year and a squad present may help.
- Chief has agreed to participate in a Feasible Study Only with the County for centralized dispatching. Akron University is conducting the study and needed 8 agencies to sign on. This is a no cost and will take approximately a year.
- Tree Lawn paving issue was discussed. The area across from the Post Office was paved by Bill Sontag the home owner. It is Village Right of Way and it was paved over the sidewalk. The tenant at the home has been advised that the area is a Public Parking area and they have no right to tell people that cannot park there. Service Department was contacted at the time of paving and SD employee was on site, at that time PD cleared. Tree Lawn parking is addressed in Ordinance and if someone is putting in a parking area they have to follow the Ordinance. Some areas are exempt.
- A concern with the under power scooters, golf carts, etc. was discussed. Seems to be more prevalent in the Village. Chief advised as long as they are not impeding traffic and are properly registered we have not been stopping them.
- Charlie English is working on a Municipal Parking Lot behind McDonalds.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: August 28, 2008 at 6:30 a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:30 am, Motion to close by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police