Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
May 29, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: Asst. Fire Chief, Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to Order at 0632 am by Chief Buchert. April minutes reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
- The issue with the vacant lot has been taken care of, stones have been put across the area. The Police Department has received a letter from Jeff Benners attorney. Committee has seen the improved area and discussed the issue and feel it is a closed case.
- Chief spoke with Ken Justus and advised that we should be in the new radio tower at the High School by the end of June. They are in the final stages of getting it ready.
- Siren Tower in front of Police Department has been looked at and Committee feels the northwest leg, at the base by the ground, needs attention. Check to see if someone can weld it.
- Giles spoke with Village Solicitor reference the Snow Removal Ordinance, he was advised that it is legal and it is enforceable. Committee agreed to leave it as it is.
- 30 Minute parking zone has been posted on Main Street. 3 spaces have been marked. Chief advised it is more difficult to enforce.
- Issue of the back driveway for the Police Department was brought to Chief’s attention; Chief spoke with owner of Barky Mart and the option of getting a lifetime easement on the property in writing in exchange for the part of old College Street was discussed.
Committee discussed options and agreed that this was acceptable. A lifetime lease with Sohio was drawn up but never registered with the County and the Fire Dept. had an easement agreement with Jerry Cutlip. Rumor of trying to take the property by Eminent Domain has the committee concerned, Committee agreed this is not the way to approach this and agreed not to go in this direction. The Village has only used the driveway since 2005 when the building was purchased.
- Chief advised committee he only budgeted for gas for patrol cars at $2.50 per gallon. With the rising cost of gasoline committee needs to be conscious of this.
- Soap Box Derby will be June 14th, Saturday, Rain date June 21st. Letter has been sent to Fire Department and Service Dept. ref. road closure.
- American Legion flag burning ceremony will be June 14th at the Fire Department.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE:
NEXT MEETING: June 26, 2008 at 6:30 am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 6:55 am, Motion to close by Marty and 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police