Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
May 19, 2011
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith, Marty Hura and Linda Schilling
MEMBERS ABSENT: Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:43 a.m. April 28, 2011 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
- Overtime Report to date reviewed, overtime hours down from last year. No appropriation status change from April meeting.
- Both of the new dispatchers are on their own. Al Gilbert should be on his own within the next two weeks he is waiting on his uniform.
- Cross Walk Signal- the traffic light remains green and allows enough time to cross- however the walk signal changes quickly not allowing time to cross.
Lexipol Contract – Due to Ordinance that was passed this must now go to Finance then to Council. Committee agreed to move forward with this. Chief advised Police Capital Funds will be used.
- Chief was contacted reference allowing Bow hunting for deer on ODNR property that is in the Village- Chief has concerns due to the Hike/Bike trail in the area and also there currently is an Ordinance in place right now that prohibits hunting in the Village. Committee discussed and would like to table for now, would like to think about it and discuss at next meeting
- Hiram Fireworks- Currently set for July 2, 2011- School is not happy. Concerned with the football field and track area. This may require 7 officers instead of 5. Concerns with port-a-pottie placement and responsibility. Committee discussed and agreed school will have the final decision.
- State of Ohio has notified Chief of inspection of our holding facility on June 7, 2011 at 9:45am. State of Ohio has received Federal Grant to make sure all agencies are in compliance for any holding area. We are in violation, no proper policy – We have to get policy in place, gun lockers and first aid kits. No Fines involved – time frames will be given to get everything in place. State is working with municipalities very close.
- Chief Buchert addressed any concerns reference him having knee surgery and what the Village would have to do to replace him while he is out. Chief will not be replaced, the Police Department will follow the Chain of Command that is in place. Chief will still remain Chief of Police. Chief assured committee when he makes the decision to have the knee surgery done he will let them know.
ITEMS RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO FINANCE COMMITTEE: Lexipol Contract
ITEMS REFERRED TO PARK COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 30, 2011 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:18 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Linda, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police