Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
April 28, 2011
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith, Marty Hura and Linda Schilling
MEMBERS ABSENT: Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:42 a.m. March 31, 2011 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Linda, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
- Appropriation status/Overtime Report to date reviewed. No major issues at this time
- Wage Agreement- current employees at current wages will be entered – this can be amended at a later date if needed per Linda Schilling. Committee discussed Chief going to salary. Chief is not against that, it just needs to be fair. The possibility of taking an average over the last 5 years was discussed. It was noted that the Police Department has generated $86,113.00 this year. Also with the possibility of a new business coming into the old St. Gobain building that would generate more income.
- Nothing new on easement from Barky Mart
- Quotes for security camera for Glacier Eskar Trail and water plant area were not discussed at Park Committee due to only 2 of the members were in attendance.
- Quote for Dispatch monitors (4) was handed out and discussed. Quote was just under $2,000.00 We are looking at other alternatives, possibly still 4 monitors but 2 separate stations.
- One of the two new dispatchers is on her own. The second one will probably be released at the end of next week.
- Chief’s In Service training was great. A lot of new information. Public records law was one of the topics. Chief discussed information with Mayor Hawkins and Village Solicitor reference a Public Records Committee. Also Criminal Law Updates- Employee Law and new approach to Active Shooters information were topics.
- Chief received 2 complaints reference the pedestrian crosswalk light, that it does not stay on long enough to get across the street. This issue was discussed in Nov. 2009 meeting and correspondence sent to Ed Trego. The issue may be due to the flow of traffic determining how long the crossing light stays on. Chief will check to see if there is a timer that can be adjusted.
- Chief will be on Vacation May 25 – May 30, 2011. Chief will be out of town during that time.
- Chief discussed with committee the possibility of getting the crosswalks painted in downtown area. Committee agreed and suggested to take it to Service and would like to see it done before Memorial Day. Linda Schilling will take it to Service Committee.
- House Fire at Elm and High Streets – Chief talked with the home owner Monday- he has contacted an engineer – he would like to remove the roof and possibly rebuild the structure. Chief advised him to contact the Building Department before doing anything. He was also advised to contact Village Solicitor and her number was given to him. Giles would like to see if the Safety Tape can be moved inward to open the sidewalk so it can be used. Committee agreed. Chief will contact Village Administrator and see if they can help move poles in and put up tape.
COMMITTEE COMMENTS: Giles had concerns of a tenant in the Village running a generator inside an apartment. Chief advised of the situation that occurred. The Police Department and
Fire Department were on scene and the Fire Marshall was contacted. The issued was resolved. Marty has a concern with the deterioration of SR 44 northbound in front of Crestwood High School area where the new road was put in. The old road is what is breaking up on the right side and the right side berm. Is it the Villages issue or ODOT?
Committee would like a police report done anytime there is damage done to a vehicle due to the roads, pot holes, in the village.
ITEMS RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO FINANCE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO PARK COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: Painting of Crosswalks, downtown area
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: MAY 19, 2011 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:50 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Linda, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police