Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
April 26, 2007
MEMBERS PRESENT: Mayor Hopkins, Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 0601am by Giles Seith
- Handicap parking spot has been moved to Prospect Street- Hair dressers will call PD and advise of any vehicles that will be there long term
- Alert on Front Door has been installed
- ID cards- Chief contacted John Barber they are looking at our format now and will be moving forward. The pictures will be taken here
- Handrail for the front steps has been installed
- A request from the residents has been brought to Chief reference parking at the Old Village Hall. Residents would like to see it return to all time parking. Present Ordinance should be looked at. Committee discussed and decided remove the No Parking Sign for now and wait until building changes hands to revisit the ordinance. Motion made by Marty and seconded by Giles
- Siren in front of Village Hall needs repair. Contacted EMA and they advised it belonged to the Fire Department. Safety of the box is an issue. Do we want to abandoned it? Committee discussed and Marty will discuss this with the Fire Board.
- Auction for the Mantua Grain has been set for Wednesday, May 9th at Noon. Tom has been contacted reference parking. We are looking at closing Prospect Street from First Street.
- Budget has been completed for the Police Department and has been submitted to the Mayors office
- Police Department has applied for grant with the Federal Government for vests for the officers. Submitted application and looking to replace 4 vests. Preliminary part of grant has been accepted. At 50/50 we have the funding in Police Capitol.
- Chief has been approached by TAC the software supplier reference putting MDT’s (Mobile Data Terminals) in both cars at no cost to us for supplies. He would like Mantua to be a model for area departments. PD would have to pick up air time at $100.00 a month. Committee discussed. Giles motioned to go ahead and Mayor seconded.
- According to the Personal Handbook the Police Departments 3 year wage contract will be up at the end of 2007. Chief has started the process now. Increases are based on the cost of living . Looking at 3% in 2008 - 3.5% in 2009 - 3.5% in 2010. Cost of living information reflected 3.7% in 2005 and 3.4% in 2006 and 2007 was unavailable at the time we called. Also looking at the possibility of promotion for one officer from Patrolman 2 to Patrolman 1.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: June 28, 2007 @ 6:00 a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned @ 06:55am- Mayor motioned , Giles seconded ,all agreed
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police