Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
April 24, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
OTHERS PRESENT: Asst. Fire Chief, Matt Roosa and Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 6:30am by Chief Buchert. March minutes reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
OLD BUSINESS:A third and final warning letter was sent to Jeff Benner yesterday advising he has 10 days to correct the infraction or charges will be filed. Chief Buchert has talked to Village Attorney and he feels that the hazard has been brought to our attention and it has to be acted on. At this time no attempt from the property owners has been made to correct the issue.
- Layoffs have occurred, effective April 20, 2008. Two Full Time dispatchers were laid off. Judy Lisk has been rehired for a part time dispatcher position with part time employee benefits. Medical Insurance waivers for the part time employees have been provided.
- Siren tower renovation is still being considered. We have contacted Portage County Commissioners to find out who did Ravenna City Tower in front of the Court House. Committee suggested the idea of using the siren again, since the wiring is already in place.
- No reply from James Clemens, per the Village Attorney we do nothing. He will be reviewing the settlement. He suggests no deadlines at this time.
- Patrol Car warranty not an option at this time from Council. Vehicles are at approximately 30 and 32 thousand miles
- Question reference the signage for the new parking time limit in front of Haylett’s Food Store on Main Street that was passed by ordinance. Chief advised a discussion with Ed recently indicated he was waiting until he could drill the ground so the signage could be placed. Mayor indicated to Chief she would prefer two parking spaces marked instead of three.
- Giles advised that the Service Committee is concerned with the current Snow Parking Ordinance. This ordinance is 23 years old and has not been called upon in the 23 years. Parking areas is the issue, where do the residents park that do not have driveways. In the past year, Service Dept. has indicated to the Police Department what they needed moved and the Police Department would approach the resident to have the vehicle moved. Police has had total co-operation in moving the vehicles so service could continue. After thorough discussion committee decided not to take any action at this time.
- Chief advised committee that due to the spousal insurance not being deducted in April as planned could be an issue for the department. Per ordinance the deduction was suppose to start immediately, however, after attending the insurance meeting it will not take effect until May 1, 2008.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE:
NEXT MEETING: May 29, 2008 at 6:30am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned @ 7:00 am, Motion to close by Marty and 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police