Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
March 31, 2011
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura and Linda Schilling
MEMBERS ABSENT: Giles Seith, Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:45 a.m. Motion to excuse Giles Seith from meeting made by Linda Schilling, 2nd by Marty Hura, all ayes. February 24, 2011 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Linda, all ayes.
- Appropriation status/Overtime Report to date reviewed. Overtime is down 15 hours from last year. Overtime will be up and down. No major issues at this time
- Appropriation for Gas – Chief brought to committee attention with the increase of gas prices up $1.00 gallon since last year, appropriations do not allow for this increase. We could be approx. $3,000 short by end of year. Just wanted committee to be aware.
- Ordinance for Auxiliary Officers- going for 3rd reading
- Wage Agreement- any questions or concerns. Nothing from Committee
- Chief talked to Village Solicitor reference the “No Left Turn” on Main Street. He was advised the Village can do it or the state may also do it. Committee discussed and decided since it was late in the school year to wait until next year and see if problem still exists. Marty asked about no left turns on both streets, Glenwood and Grand Elm. Committee agreed to further observe until next year.
- Nothing new on easement from Barky Mart, his attorney has it.
- Repair of decks- Copy of Court Order passed out to Committee. Subjects involved are not to have contact with each other so they cannot assist in repair of the decks.
- Quotes for security camera for Glacier Eskar Trail and water plant area were handed out. Cameras will not be able to see all decks, maybe one. Committee discussed and advised to forward info to Parks Committee and let them decide.
- Budget for 2012- Chief handed out copies- No major changes. The only big purchase for 2012 is new patrol cars. Will start bidding in September 2011. Money is put aside in Capital Improvement to help support the purchase of cars. This will help so we won’t have to borrow as much. Committee reviewed and agreed to forward it to Mayor and Clerks Office.
- Currently training two new part time dispatchers.
- Chief is currently talking with Lexipol, a risk management service, that writes operating manuals, training and policies for Police Departments. Ohio Municipal League has joined with Lexipol and would pay a portion to write manuals for safety forces. They make sure everything is up to date and there is daily training for officers thru internet services. Changes in ORC are made daily. There has been 69% fewer legislation claims filed with someone who has Lexipol. Police Departments using this service has seen a 43% reduction of liability issues. Approximately $2350.oo would be Village responsibility, which could probably come out of Police Capital. Committee discussed and agreed, advised Chief to go ahead.
- Speed Limit on High Street was discussed at last Council Meeting- Committee feels that it should be left alone
- Chief asked Committee about an In Service Training that he would like to attend 4-10 thru 4-12-2011. Committee Ok’d training
ITEMS RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO FINANCE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO PARK COMMITTEE: Security Camera Information
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: APRIL 28, 2011 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:20 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Linda, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police