Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
March 27, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, Giles Seith
MEMBERS ABSENT: Mayor Hawkins, Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 6:33am by Giles Seith. Motion made to approved minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty all ayes.
- A second letter has been sent to Jeff Benner reference the safety issue brought to committee, the letter advised Jeff the issue needed to be corrected immediately. Chief Buchert also spoke with Jeff Benner and was advised that Jeff had contacted his attorney and he feels there is no violation. Chief Buchert asked for a letter from Jeff’s attorney stating this information so he can pass it on to the Village Solicitor.
- Addressing the second concern brought to committee reference Heaton property, no violation, suggestion made that they may want to put up the last post.
- Changes in Handbook that committee discussed in February meeting have been made and passed to Council, just FYI.
- Notification for council members, Marty did speak with Mayor Hawkins, nothing decided. Chief advised he will take responsibility to contact Safety Committee members for Village emergency.
- Patrol Car warranty- Dean Stebbins of F& S Automotive does not have a program. He felt the information we had was good coverage. Dean checked with a few Chevy dealers and advised they felt it was reasonable. Warranty consists of Zero (O) deductible, payment plan for $1,000.00 per month for one (1) year with no interest. That would take the patrol cars to approximately 108,000 miles. We would not purchase until right before they hit 36,000 miles. Committee would like to move forward but advised to recommend this to Council.
- No reply from Dave Wert reference his resignation. Paperwork submitted to OPOTA showing he resigned.
- No reply from James Clemens reference his return to work, last time we spoke to him he advised he was working on his work schedule.
- Ed has been contacted by Mr. Dave Hawk, requesting additional parking be added on Sontag Lane, a small drawing was provided. Committee discussed the current ordinance for the area which forbids parking in this area. Temporary parking is usually granted when requested but a permanent area would require attention to Fire hydrants, tree removal, sidewalk changes and addressing the safety concerns of accident, snow plowing and up keep. Committee feels Lamplighter Landings has plenty of space and property to build another parking lot.
- Discussion, recommendations, or input on the siren tower at Administration Building. It was a suggestion to Chief to take tower down and possibly sell for scrap. Committee does not want to take tower down, would like to check around and see if we can get the pulley fixed to reattach flag to top of tower. Siren does work suggestion to contact Tim Benner or Historical Society.
- Layoffs were suppose to happen at last council meeting. Position to be affected will be Full Time dispatchers. Part time dispatcher hours will have to be managed . Effective date will be April 20, 2008 which starts a new pay period. If lay offs do not happen Police Department will have to have more appropriated, due to not enough funds to pay personnel.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Warranty purchase for Patrol Cars
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: April 24, 2008 at 6:30am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned @ 7:08 am- Motion to close by Marty, Giles seconded, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police