Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
March 26, 2009
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Giles Seith and Marty Hura
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke and Teresa Cutlip
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:30am. January 2009 minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Giles, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
- Chief passed out spread sheet summary for police budget. February was an expensive month. Overtime hours down from last year with an approximate savings of $686.00.
- Seems to be talk about taking the old radio tower down. Committee discussed and agreed it is a unique item to have, it was put up before the First World War. Tower needs refinished. Structure needs some attention. Chief spoke with Eddie Benner at the revitalization committee.
- Night Vision Unit is in, Rodney attended training in Washington DC. Officers have been using the Unit getting familiar with it.
- Bob has pulled his retirement letter until further notice. Will probably still retire just not sure when.
- Hiram has contacted us and would like to meet with Mayor and Chief Buchert before making a decision on dispatch. Chief spoke with Hiram Police Chief and Asst. Fire Chief and both indicated they are interested in coming to Mantua. Hiram would like a flat rate. Committee discussed if additional equipment is added to help everyone, then everyone should help on the cost. Chief advised that some modifications would have to be made to our radio and Hiram would be responsible for the cost to do that. Safety Committee agreed for Mayor and Chief Buchert to proceed
- Owner of Village Tavern, Teresa Cutlip and committee addressed the issue of noise complaints from a village resident. Officers respond and find typical noise for a bar, bar tender and owner have been very co-operative in trying to resolve issue. With nice weather and patrons being on the open deck complaints will probably continue. Teresa advised she was looking into putting up a privacy fence, however noise will go overtop. Cannot close deck in then it becomes an addition. Patrons cannot go out front to smoke due to open container law. Noise does not seem to be unreasonable for a commercial area. The area is zoned for Commercial, resident knew that when moved in.
No other complaints received from other surrounding residents. Chief advised any complaint that comes in law enforcement will investigate. After extensive discussion it was decided that officers will respond and Log/Report facts, they will note if they see a problem and handle it accordingly. Last resort will be to shut the bar down If no problem found that also will be documented.
- Teresa questioned parking area on Main Street for the 30 minute section. Committee confirmed 3 spots only and parking is limited to 30 minutes on west side. Teresa expressed concern due to another business owner acting abruptly with people moving their vehicles. Teresa left meeting at 7:05am.
- Chief discussed with committee applying for grant from stimulus package for 3 officers. Grant will cover 3 years and the Village has to maintain the officers for 1 year after.
- Chief expressed interest to Committee on picking a new solicitor. Chief asked that while interviewing candidates they keep in mind that laws are different between City and Villages, and that experience is an asset.
- Committee addressed the concern of Drug Trade going on in the Village. Chief advised committee of situation.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO FINANCE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: April 30, 2009 at 6:30 am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:35am, Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Giles all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police