Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
March 25, 2010

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, Linda Schilling

MEMBERS ABSENT: Giles Seith excused, Matt Roosa

OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke

CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:35 a.m. February minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve minutes by Marty, 2nd by Linda, all ayes. Marty Motioned to excuse Giles Seith from meeting, Linda 2nd, all ayes.

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. Appropriation status for February discussed, pretty good overall. Couple of low areas that should catch up. Hospitalization will need a line transfer by end of year. Cruiser debt will even out- payment made at the first of the year. Overtime up 1 hours compared to last year. Ptl. Prokop working on case that will require overtime next month.

  2. Siren Tower Talked with 3 people who looked at tower and waiting on quotes. Structure of tower OK, needs some welding work.

  3. Hiram Phone Lines- We have not heard anything back yet. Chief will contact Hiram Safety Committee Chairperson

  4. Rodney Terry has returned and has already worked shifts.

  5. Auxiliary Ordinance- Held off on change, Solicitor concerns with part-time and auxiliary reference what they are entitled to as due process. Committee discussion agreed to part time status, and to bring ordinance for Auxiliary forward. Address part time as a different issue.

NEW BUSINESS:

  1. Chief passed out Uniform Cost Summary shows what the Village pays and what employee is responsible for. Committee discussed increase in clothing allowance, suggested a step program. Committee agreed

  2. Wage increase discussed for Judy Lisk- as part time dispatch status at highest part time dispatch wage officers brought back from lay off at their current wage. Committee agreed and Motion by Linda , 2nd by Marty to bring to Council

  3. Budget just about done and will be turning it over to Mayor

  4. Chief thanked Linda for bringing up the Income Tax increase for the Village- we need something to increase revenue in the Village and with the majority of cuts effecting the employees we need to explore other avenues

  5. FCC has required us to go to Narrow Banding (narrow banding divides frequency in half) License Fee by 2013. Fire Dept is looking a a Repeater in which boosts radio traffic to wider area. Police Dept. would like to check into this while updating to the narrow band. We now pay for Hardwire lines. It would be approx. 3-4 thousand to do this and the change will last up to 15 years. This also would provide us better if a disaster would take out phone lines, with a repeater we would not loose communications. All radio equipment is capable of this and would not change anything within our operation. Once we receive info. Will pass it on to Committee

COMMITTEE COMMENT:

Linda brought to Committee concern of Teresa Cutlip and officers watching the Village Tavern- Chief advised this was not happening and advised that bar checks are not done anymore to prevent this- Difficult to travel in the Village without passing the Village Tavern.

Noise Complaints are investigated when called from a resident. Chief has discussed these issues with Teresa in the past and advised her of a possible solution, however Linda will be speaking with Teresa to follow up on her concerns.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Wage Increase

ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None

ITEMS TABLED: None

NEXT MEETING: April 29, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.

ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 8:08 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Linda, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.

__________________________
Giles Seith, Chairperson

______________________________
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police