Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
February 28, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, Giles Seith
MEMBERS ABSENT: Mayor Hawkins, Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke, Bruce Brewer
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 6:33am by Giles Seith. Motion made to approved minutes by Marty, 2nd by Giles all ayes.
OLD BUSINESS: Information for appropriations for finance including figures based on employees giving up benefits has been completed.
- Discussion on patrol car warranty. Committee suggested to check if there is a deductible.
NEW BUSINESS: Public Comments: Guest Bruce Brewer addressed safety committee with two concerns he feels is safety issues in the Village of Mantua. First is the vacant area where the old hardware store was on Main Street. He stated he fell in that location. Also, the area behind the dentist office on Prospect Street. There is a large brick wall and there is nothing to keep kids from climbing on the wall and falling.
Mr. Brewer had already contacted zoning reference this issue.
Committee advised will contact Solicitor and whatever his suggestions are is what the Village will follow.
Mr. Brewer suggested the possibility of a hand rail to the building to keep people from walking onto the private property area on Main Street.
Committee advised Mr. Brewer any issue with zoning inspector will have to be taken up thru the Mayors office and possibly attend the next zoning meeting. Mr. Brewer left the meeting at 6:45am.
- Rough draft handed out on the changes in handbook reference vacation time, comp. time and holidays the bold print is the new wording. Committee suggested to spell out maximum amount of hours that employee can accumulate. Changes can occur as needed with the Fair Labor Standard Act. Will forward to Solicitor for ordinance.
- Sending “Thank You” letters to five officers for their help and assistance during the flooding.
- Marty discussed the issue of notification when an emergency situation arises in the Village. Committee feels all the council members should be notified and aware especially when other departments are in the Village assisting. Chief offered the assistance of the Police Department to make these contacts, Marty advised he will discuss it with the Mayor.
- Letter sent to Dave Wert reference his employment with the Mantua Police Department. It has been three years. Resignation date is for March 08, 2008.
- Chief had a meeting with James Clemens on February 12, 2008, reference his return. We have not heard anything back from him yet. A letter has been drafted and will run it thru Solicitor before sending.
- Dan Forman will be receiving the Blue Coat award from the Knight of Columbus on March 08, 2008, Chief and Mayor Hawkins will be attending.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Updated handbook changes for Ordinance
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: March 27, 2008 at 6:30am
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned @ 7:18 am- Motion to close by Marty, Giles seconded, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police