Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
FEBRUARY 25, 2010
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, Linda Schilling and Giles Seith
MEMBERS ABSENT: Matt Roosa
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:35 a.m. January minutes were reviewed.
- Motion made to elect Committee Chairperson. Linda Schilling nominated Giles Seith, Marty 2nd. Giles accepted all ayes.
- Committee discussed a Co-Chairperson position, Linda Schilling nominated Marty Hura, Giles 2nd motion, Marty agreed, all ayes
- Appropriation status for January discussed. Overtime projection compared to last year shows a savings of $240.00 to date
- Siren Tower – Contacted 3 steeplejacks for inspection. Approved for $500.00 by council and Fire Association agreed to pay for half. Once report is received Chief will bring it back to Safety Committee
- Letter was sent to Hiram approximately a week ago reference phone lines being installed into the Police Department. Originally 4 phone lines were to be installed – they have to purchase their own lines. We would like to have atleast 2. Hiram would prefer 1. Discussion on the possibility of splitting cost for 2nd line, between $25.00 - $45.00 per month. We have not heard anything back yet.
- A 2nd letter to Rodney Terry has been sent Certified Mail reference his position with Police Department. He has signed for the letter we will wait one month
- Email has been sent to Hiram Township reference their request for police patrol, we have not heard anything back from them
- Nothing new on the restructure of Command within the Police Department
- Auxiliary Ordinance changed to be forward to Council- committee agreed
- Chief would like to purchase two body worn video recorder. This would be very beneficial when officer is out of vehicle, inside a residence and help document information that will be helpful at a later date. Committee approved purchase of two (2) at $149.00 each.
- Chief will be attending a meeting on March 3 at Windham Police Department. This will be for Emergency Disaster Plan Fact Finding, for the northern Villages of Portage County. Looking at our own needs and how to help each
- Aurora Police Dept. contact Chief reference providing dispatch service to Mantua in the future. They are looking at updating their dispatch center and would like to prepare for it now with a third console. Discussed with our Fire Chief- feels we provide a good professional service and is not interested. Committee discussed and agreed we are not interested at this time
- Meeting with handbook committee went well. The handbook has been given to Michele for final draft. Council should receive copies soon. Once handbook has been revised we may want to discuss at this committee level.
- Pagers- all pagers from Police Department EXCEPT Chief’s have been cancelled and returned. Policy only calls for Full Time Officers to carry the pager. Next months bill should reflect the change.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: Auxiliary Ordinance
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: None
ITEMS TABLED: None
NEXT MEETING: March 25, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:15 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Marty, 2nd by Giles, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police