Village of Mantua
Safety Committee Meeting
JANUARY 28, 2010
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chief Buchert, Marty Hura, Linda Schilling and Asst. Chief Matt Roosa
MEMBERS ABSENT: Giles Seith, excused
OTHERS PRESENT: Linda Wilke
CALL TO ORDER: Chief Buchert called the meeting to order at 6:35 a.m. November minutes were reviewed and amended and approved. Marty motioned to excuse Giles Seith from meeting. Linda 2nd, all ayes. Election for Committee Chairperson will be postponed until next meeting
- End of year report for appropriation and overtime passed out and reviewed. Overtime 58 hours less in 2009 than 2008
- Siren Tower – waiting for better weather for repair. Contacted by Fire Association who offered help with repair and restore. Man hours and possibly money to help.
- Shawn Gahagan resigned effective January 25, 2010. Letter of resignation received and all equipment was turned in.
- Things going pretty smoothly with Hiram Dispatch Contract. They have their lines forwarding to ours at the present time. Best scenario would be to have them add their 4 additional lines, we would definitely like to see atleast 2 lines they may only bring 1 line in, will contact them to resolve this issue
- Letter has been sent to Ptl. Rodney Terry reference employment as a auxiliary officer. We have not heard back at this time.
- Traffic pattern signs- correspondence was sent to Ed after last committee meeting
- Chief was contacted by a Hiram Township Trustee reference police protection for Hiram Township residents. Requesting a proposal. Committee discussed the issue, Chief advised of concerns such as court time pay for officers, they want no traffic enforcement. Rough estimate per Chief would be at least $60.00 per hour. Chief advised this would require our Council to act. Committee agreed we need something in writing from Hiram Township with very clear expectations.
- Chief advised committee he is in the process of re-structure of the Police Department for Chain of command down. This department depends more on Part Time and more responsibility has been given to them
- Discussion on amending the Mantua Police Department Auxiliary Ordinance. Chapter 139.02. Chief passed out new ordinance which defines everything a lot closer and clearer. Village Solicitor has looked at it, waiting on committee to make any changes. Committee agreed to review and discuss at next meeting for recommendations.
- Back parking lot is breaking up and a section by the fence is completely gone. Chief feels it is our cost. Would like to do something in spring. Committee member Linda Schilling will bring this up at Service Committee.
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL: None
ITEMS REFERRED TO SERVICE COMMITTEE: Back Parking Lot
NEXT MEETING: February 25, 2010 @ 6:30a.m.
ADJOURNED: Meeting adjourned at 7:25 a.m. Motion to adjourn by Linda, 2nd by Marty, all ayes.
Giles Seith, Chairperson
H.W. Buchert, Chief of Police