Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
September 12th, 2009
Call to Order- 8:00 A.M.
Roll Call: Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins, Jim Rogers was absent
Others: Jenny August, Giles Seith, Ed Trego, and Resident Norm Erickson.
Minutes: No discussion. Motion to approve the Minutes from the August meeting by Roger Hawkins, seconded by Ben Prescott. Both ayes on vote.
Financial Reports: Jenny discussed Kevin Poland stopping by the office Friday before setting up his booth at the Potato Festival. He reimbursed us in full for the flowers we purchased, and authorized spending up to $5,000 on tree removal and trimming at the Cemetery. At that time, Jenny told him that the mausoleum had been vandalized, and he asked how to get there. Jenny suggested that he takes a tour with Ed, which he did. The Cemetery Board also said to do whatever Ed needs to get the mausoleum secured and repaired. Jenny gave the Financial reports. The checkbook Fund status at the end of August $346,305. Revenues were $143,880.83 Expenses totaled $80,859. Water and Sewer reconciled exactly, and the bank reconciliation went through with no adjusting factors. Jenny mentioned again the grave situation we have with the sewer plant. She was unable to authorize a purchase order to have sludge hauled. Ed said we need $6,500 now and $12,500 more by the end of the year. He suggested we borrow the money from Permissive Funds and try to pay it back later. It will take $25,000 to get the plant in good shape. Ed said sludge hauling must be done now. Jenny said she didnít think it is legal to advance out of Permissive funds, but said she would check with the Auditors. Ben said we have to find the money. Jenny said our maintenance and expenses are more than we are taking in from revenues, and we canít continue to keep finding quick fixes. We may have to look into what some have suggested and lease our plant to the County. General Fund advanced money last payment and it has not been paid back yet. There is a good chance that we will have to advance again in December. Ed said he spoke with Harold Huff and because of staffing requirements, they are so tight that they may have to hire another full timer. He felt it would cost us more and the County may not have the time anyway. Jenny asked how we will pay for another full time employee with benefits that we listed in the newspaper. Ed said he canít answer. Jenny said that between Ed, Mike May and Dennis Taylor, our licenses are covered. Why canít we get a few part time general service workers. Ed said Dennis Taylor is not licensed anymore. Ed has not been able to apply for a reduced time. He said that 20 hours per week is minimum, but because our plant and collection system is so complicated, it takes longer. Ben said not to put more hours down in sewer than absolutely necessary because we need to pay bills. Ed said we need to vacuum out the lift station, and we need $3,000-4,000 for that.
Legislation: Ben reviewed the legislation that will be presented at the Council meeting Tuesday.
- 2009-38- Eliminate insurance for new or reelected Mayors.
- 2009-41- Splitting revenues earned from the Village of Hiram between Gen. Fund & Police Capital.
- 2009-46- Establish a storm sewer fund
- 2009-47- Splitting $5 quarterly charge between Water Capital and Storm Sewer. Ed said we are moving in the right direction.
- 2009-48- Granting the school permission to drill a water well. Solicitor said it is a separate subdivision and they can do it, but residents canít.
- 2009-49 Repay Advance money from Buchert Trail since project is complete.
- 2009-50 Moving money from Capital Reserve to General Fund for selling old Village Hall. Ben said if necessary, use some of that money for sewer.
- 2009-51 Mayor to negotiate a contract with First Energy
- 2009-52 First reading of 2010 appropriations
Bills of Resolution: No discussion or questions. Motion to recommend the Bills of Resolution to Council by Roger, seconded by Ben. Both ayes on vote.
Diesel: We are required to pay road tax, so we canít buy diesel from the school.
Personnel Manual: Ben wants to get this up to date. Ed said the Ohio Municipal League puts out a sample that may be helpful. Ben said we need to form a committee to work on this. Roger asked if we would have citizens on the committee, like that Citizens group since they bring it up at their meetings. Ben said that would be fine.
Cemetery: Lisa Zamecznik brought in a quote from Stammís to have the cement flower holder sandblasted. Ben said if Kevin Poland will pay for it, we can do it, otherwise, no.
Clemens payment: Jenny said she and Harry both would like to get a payment to Clemens since we donít know what shape our finances will be in when the payment is due. We have $4,500 in his account right now, and if we paid it, we will be a third of the way. That would leave $4,250 for the next two years. Ben said to do it. Jenny said Harry thought it would be easier on the Village to pay some off now. Ben said to put it on the addendum list for Council.
Citizens: Norm thanked the Finance Committee for considering the water well ordinance for the school.
Motion to adjourn at 8:37 A.M. by Ben, seconded by Roger. Both ayes.
- He has not had any people apply for the position that were qualified. If he had a good applicant, he would consider moving out a part-timer or cutting back somewhere.
- Ed said as far as Crestwood schools, he approached them and has never heard back from the Superintendent about getting diesel. He submitted an e-mail request and never heard back. The Superintendent was supposed to bring it to the next board meeting. Norm said nobody objected. Ed thought we could pay the tax separately. Ed asked how the Fire Department pays the road tax. Giles said ďThey donítĒ.
- Cemetery; Ed said he is repairing the door to the mausoleum Monday and will address the missing drains next. The main thing is getting it secured.
- Ed wanted confirmation on moving forward on the sludge and grease. Ed asked if we could put money in from General Fund. Jenny said we will have money coming in from the County.
- Ed spoke with Kevin Poland, and there is more money for us. Ed said he submitted a list of priorities, and had no idea that it was submitted for money. That is what stymied the money. The Stock Certificate is still missing. The certificates must be issued in the name of the new bank, but canít be done without the old one.
Ben Prescott, Chair of Finance
Jenny August, Clerk-Treasurer