Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
August 16, 2008
Call to Order- 8:02 A.M.
Roll Call: Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins, Jim Rogers was absent
Others: Jenny August, Clerk-Treasurer, Donna Hawkins, Mayor Giles Seith, Council Member
Motion to approve Minutes from July 12th Finance meeting by Ben Prescott Seconded by Roger Hawkins, but he wanted it on record that he disagreed with splitting Jennyís salary between other departments.
- Recommendation to remain with Larry Kaczmarek Insurance for health coverage with Summa. There will be a 10% increase in cost, but it is still the cheapest deal.
- Appropriations for Tomís salary is down to $1043.00 after paying for July services.
- Jenny recommends that we hold off on raising water or sewer rates as discussed. We got a large payment from Mantaline Corp. that will help for this year. Jenny recommends that we wait and see where we are in November. If necessary, we can look at raising rates for next year.
- Jenny said if the Ordinance 2008-22 should pass at the Council meeting next week, we will save $6,480.82 for the remainder of this year, and $18,093.96 for next year.
Bills of Resolution-
- Donna asked about Dominion bills in the Water Dept. Ed explained.
- Donna asked what are Mutt Mitts. Ed explained.
- Motion to approve the Bills of Resolution by Roger, seconded by Ben.
Discussion of Salaries and Wages:
- Ben said we should take a look at putting Ed & Harry on salary. Roger asked how they (Ed & Harry) feel about that. Ben said Ed wanted to know what percent we would use. He hasnít discussed it with Harry.
- Ben said they need to stop over time and just take comp time. Giles said that by law, they have the option of comp time or pay. Jenny suggested that if they work over one night, they should leave early the next day so they stay within 40 hours.
- Ben said we need to be able to afford a Class 1 or 2 licensed employee to replace Paul.
- Donna said regarding salaries, Harry feels the same as Ed.
- Ben said he heard that we got a grant. Is it true?
- Donna said we rated .69 on scale. We got 80% with a 20% zero interest loan of $50,000 for 30 years. This is to increase water pressure to 20% of our homes. The pressure will go from 20 PSI to 80 PSI.
- Ben said if it goes through, it must be paid for out of the water department funds.
- Donna said we have options. We can absorb $138.00 per month. We could increase water bills to the homes affected by $5.00 per month, or we could assess the tax payers. Ben felt we should not do that.
- Donna said she felt we should eat the $138.00 per month.
Ben said we really need to start chipping away at the CT Consultants bills.
Roger asked if we stayed within the estimated costs for the Water break. Jenny said we went just slightly over. Roger asked what the overage % is allowed on jobs. Nobody knew for sure.
Roger said he still disagrees with splitting Jennyís salary.
Donna asked if Dental is also going up. Jenny said yes, she thought 3%.
Motion to Adjourn at 8:57 A.M. by Roger Hawkins, seconded by Ben Prescott. Both Ayes on vote.
Ben Prescott, Chair of Finance
Jenny August, Clerk-Treasurer