Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
May 12th, 2011
Call to Order- 6:00 P.M.
Roll Call: Linda Clark, Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins
Others: Clerk-Treasurer Jenny August, Mayor Donna Hawkins, Councilman Hura arrived at 6:50.
Citizens: Rod Garrison of E.G. & G. Architectural firm, Michelle Barnauskas, Keith Barton, and Rick Frato with Downtown Mantua Revitalization Committee.
Donna asked about the 7th Bullet point where Roger questioned the Lowes gift card and Jenny said Anthony was told to get what he needed. Linda said that has been said at Service and other meetings. Motion to approve the Minutes from the April meeting by Ben, seconded by Linda. All ayes on vote.
Jenny gave the financial reports. Last month was a good month due to taxes. The Fund status at the end of April was $484,497. Revenues were $224,162. Expenses including payroll totaled $108,986. There were no fund adjustments. Water and Sewer reconciled exactly. The bank reconciliation went through with no adjusting factors. As for the two new reports, one focuses on receipts, the other on revenues. There were no questions. We are pretty much on target with expected revenues, and expenses were a little over, mostly due to trucks. The audit is almost done. Today was the Auditors last day on site. Roger asked if he had any concerns. Jenny said anything he had concerns over, we have addressed. He thinks we might have to raise our water & sewer rates. Motion to move the Financial Reports to Council by Ben, seconded by Linda. All ayes on vote.
Downtown Mantua Revitalization Committee:
Michele Barnauskas introduced Rod Garrison from EG&G to discuss getting their project on schedule with the Village. He presented the streetscape plan and discussed funding options. There is OPWC Issue 2 funding possible available, as well as ODOT and CDGB grants. Ben asked what the total cost of the project is. Rod said the total cost is 4.5 million. Donna asked Jenny if there will be any funds available. Jenny said the debt in this Village is insane, and we need to whittle it down rather than increase or even replace it. Our water and sewer loans are huge, and Jenny said she cant speak for Council, but she thinks the top priority is to fix our streets. There are some streets that should be marked travel at your own risk. Michelle said we should consider what things will look like in two years. Jenny said all of our loans will still be there in two years with the exception of our truck and cruiser payments. Roger said based on the streetscape picture, he could get on board with this. He said our Zoning laws dont support this. For example, you dont see any vending machines or mannequins holding signs in the streetscape picture. Linda said we can take this to Council and see where this can go on our priority list. Donna suggested they attend Planning. Rod mentioned that the State will be paving SR 44 from 303 to Mill St., and that might be the time to work some of the revitalization ideas in that end of town. Jenny noted that the infrastructure from there going South is fairly new and we shouldnt need anything there. Linda said they want to put a Welcome to Mantua arch.
Bills of Resolution:
- Roger asked about the boots on line 22. Is that for just one pair? Jenny said yes. The boots were for someone in the Police Department.
- Roger asked about the Police Department buying all of those supplies at Wal-Mart. Jenny said they just reimbursed the cleaning lady $90 for cleaning supplies, and then they went to Mantua Hardware and bought a whole bunch. Linda said this is something that goes in the tank, and the other stuff is other cleaning supplies. Roger thought we were getting everything from the schools. Ben said only paper. Linda said we get the same price as the school.
- Roger asked about Line 88- Walmart batteries. Jenny said Harry got those.
- Donna asked why they spent $9.88 for a 9 volt battery.
- Donna asked about the storage unit rental. She thought April was paid.
- On line 151, Donna asked about the refund. Jenny said we usually just mail their deposit check back, but this lady paid her deposit in cash.
- Linda asked why we have only received 4 of our electric bills. We should have had them all by now. Donna said there was a problem that may be from switching a meter at the plant which caused a clerical error in getting the Villages accounts all switched over. She gave Jenny an e-mail that she received from North Shore Energy to follow up on this and get the Village the credit they should have had.
- Linda asked about using the sign in sheets that were previously discussed. She was checking the phone bills and found a 54 page fax was sent from the Police Department to a number in Texas. Harry told her that Council and the Mayor use the fax machine regularly. Roger said they may be able to program it so everyone has a code to put in when they use it. Ben will remind everyone in Council.
- Ben said with all of the employees in the Police Department there shouldnt be overtime. Linda said Dispatch had $366.00 in overtime last month. Police Officers had $130. Ben said it is scheduling.
- Roger asked about the $1400 to fix the fuel lines and tank. Jenny said it was done at F&S. Donna asked why our mechanic (Bobby Liendecker) couldnt have done it.
Motion to recommend the Bills of Resolution to Council by Ben, seconded by Linda. All ayes on vote.
Linda reviewed the legislation that will be presented at the Council meeting. ·
- 2011-19 No discussion. ·
- 2011-20 Roger asked what dollar amount we are giving away. Jenny said there is no way to determine the Potato Festivals actual use because the Lions, the basketball courts and the Scouts are all on the same electric meter as the old Water Plant building. Gas is on one meter for the entire park. Linda suggested he bring it up at Council. Jenny said she couldnt give an accurate number. ·
- 2011-26 Enacting chapter 157 in the Codified Ordinances relating to Personnel Information. ·
- 2011-31 Amending Cemetery grave plot prices. ·
- 2011-32 Advancing back monies to the General Fund from Glacial Esker Trail Fund. ·
- 2011-33 A fund balance adjustment to account for the Cemetery Endowment Trust Fund. ·
- 2011-34 Current wages of all current employees. Donna said we should remove Wastewater Operator since that position is not filled. Jenny said that position and that pay amount were already approved by Council. ·
- 2011-35 Policy for Routine and non-routine spending. Roger asked if the $3000 is per month or per event. Linda said per event. ·
- 2011-36 Portage County Building Department handling the Villages building permits. Linda said this is already being done, but there is no official agreement. Donna said this is at no cost to us, and if we did this in Mantua, we would earn revenues of $1,047.39. Marty said paying a building inspector would be more than that. ·
- 2011-37 Granting consent to ODOT to commence a project that is expected to begin in 2013. ·
- 2011-38 2012 Budget. Ben asked when the public hearing is. Roger asked how we can vote on this when the Department Heads have not all turned it in. Donna said per ORC he doesnt have to turn it in until the end of May. Jenny wanted to get it rolling along and it can be amended. Jenny said at the last meeting she mentioned that she learned at the conference that most Clerks do the budget, so she put one together like she did the last two years. Ben said that is how it should be done. Roger asked how Jenny knows what Anthony needs. Jenny said he would determine his needs with the appropriations available. The legislation is not broken down by line items, just a total amount available for appropriating in each fund. Linda said in the Village Officers Handbook, it says that overall, the budget is the Fiscal Officers responsibility. ·
- 2011-39 Anthony getting bids for the jet truck. ·
- 2011-40 Anthony getting bids for the vac truck. ·
- 2011-41 Anthony getting bids for a generator with a diesel engine. ·
- 2011-42 Anthony getting bids for a brush hog. ·
- 2011-43 Then and now purchase order to pay auditor fees. ·
- 2011-44 All financial correspondence goes to the Clerks office. ·
- 2011-45 Eliminating the Sewer C.I. User charge. Jenny explained that this is outdated and just causes a lot of unnecessary work for Donna Maynard. It also complicates the monthly transfer. ·
- 2011-46 Authorizing the Police Chief to seek a search warrant for the burned house on Elm Street. Ben said Regional Planning may be able to help with the funds if the house is declared blight.
Motion to send all legislation to Council by Ben Prescott, seconded by Linda. All ayes on vote.
Linda said Audley is scheduled to blacktop High St. next week and then move on the Gregorys on Prospect.
Donna said she gave Anthony the file months ago. Linda said we can ask Anthony about this at Council.
Proposed Pay Scale.
Linda reviewed the possible pay scale she prepared for everyone to review. She asked everyone to look it over and make suggestions that can be discussed at the next meeting. Ben noted that there is a start wage and a cap wage. Ben asked how they will get increases. Jenny said Council can recommend across the board raises. Linda said the Department Heads can recommend a raise also. Roger suggested performance evaluations to give employees incentive. Ben disagrees with merit raises because the bosss buddy usually gets a raise when others may not, but he also feels that Council should be allowed to authorize a raise if an employee earns it.
Citizens all left after Downtown Mantua Revitalization Committee presentation.
Other Business ·
- Jenny said the cable channel is out of commission and the Village is responsible for replacing the parts. The last estimate was about $3,000. Jenny said Michele has researched this and Time Warner is not obligated to replace the character reader, which is what is bad. ·
- Marty asked about the bike path going up Prospect St. that Downtown Revitalization was talking about. Donna said that is the Buckeye Trail. By Jakes there is a utility pole that has a blue mark called The Blue Blaze which is a marker for the Buckeye Trail that goes all over Ohio. ·
- Donna wanted to mention that the cost of truck repairs was $6,000 from October through April. She said Jenny said a new truck was out of the question, but in her Mantua Matters article she said hopefully the Service Department will get a new truck. Jenny said we just have to find a way because we have dumped a ton of money on these junky vehicles. Jenny said the amount was closer to $10,000 in repairs. Linda said we put $1400 into a truck we werent going to put any more money into. Jenny said if Anthony sells his equipment, we need to reserve the money towards a truck. Linda said Shade Tree will donate $1,000. Jenny said Marty offered to use some Park Funds as well. Ben said they have to look for something reasonable.
Motion to go into executive session to discuss personnel matters at 8:55 by Linda, seconded by Ben. All ayes.
Motion to come out of executive session at 9:00 by Linda Clark, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
Motion to adjourn at 9:01 P.M. by Linda, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
Linda Clark, Chair of Finance Committee
Clerk-Treasurer Jenny August