Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
April 15, 2010
Call to Order: 6:30 P.M.
Roll Call: Linda Clark, Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins
Others: Clerk-Treasurer Jenny August, Mayor Donna Hawkins, Chief Harry Buchert, Norm Erickson arrived at 7:00.
- Donna asked if there were any changes since Jenny e-mailed them to everyone. Jenny said no. Ben asked if we got the additional fees for a Secretary at the BZA hearings. Donna said yes.
Motion to approve the Minutes from the March meeting by Linda Clark, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
Jenny gave the Financial reports. The Fund status at the end of March was $325,450. Revenues were $104,538. Property tax revenues were reduced so we got much less than usual. Expenses totaled $70,724. There were no fund adjustments. Water and Sewer reconciled exactly, as did Income Tax, and the bank reconciliation went through with no adjusting factors.
Motion to recommend financial reports to Council by Roger, seconded by Linda. All ayes on vote.
Ben reviewed the legislation that will be presented at the Council meeting Tuesday.
- 2010-13 Jenny called and e-mailed Local Government Services but has not heard back. We hope to use the money for performance audits. She will call Erik, who replaced Gary Alger.
- 2010-14 Ben said we need to get the word out. Roger suggested decreasing the credit for taxes paid to other municipalities to ¼ percent. Roger said there are alternatives such as the deferment. Ben and Linda disagreed. Jenny said she would like to see the specifics of how the extra money is to be used. Linda Clark read from her Service notes that 35% will go to Streets, 20% to Storm Sewers, 20% to maintenance, and 25% to debt. Ben said we should specify sewer debt and we can split it that way and do an ordinance to change it later if need be. Harry said we should consider paying off higher interest loans first. Ben asked Linda to e-mail Michele.
- 2010-15 Harry stated that Michele said if there are any more changes in the handbook, it should be brought before Council. The Mayor said it should have been approved at Finance first, since the Finance Committee is the Personnel Committee, then to Council. Ben said to remove this ordinance from the agenda. He asked Jenny to get final copies for Finance Committee to review and we can make the recommendation to Council next month.
- 2010-16 (now 15) Donna said that she asked Ed to send out for bids, but he said he does not have time to do it and it really is not his responsibility. Donna said she would do it, but wants the legislation amended to say “the Mayor” is authorized. Roger thinks it has to be put in the paper for bids. Linda Clark said a breakdown of prices we are looking at is as follows: Seniors (one bag), Family (unlimited), and Businesses. She asked the Mayor to include 3 free dumpsters to be provided for the Village, as well as Spring and Fall cleanup, and picking up trash in the downtown containers.
- 2010-17 (now 16) The American Legion wants a 20 year lease. They have no issues with Michele’s attached contract. The Mayor had the legion people sign something stating that they agree.
Bills of Resolution:
- Linda asked about the Ohio Edison/First Energy bills. She feels the pricing is not clear.
- Linda asked about the AT&T bills. Jenny spoke with a representative and there is nobody assigned to the Village, but they would call back about getting a rep out.
- Linda asked about the Wright Express bills. We are not getting receipts turned in all the time. Jenny said it is the Service Department. They have been told that the Auditors must have receipts. Jenny went to Barky Mart and went through rolls of receipts and found the missing one for January, but there are still two missing for February. Ben said we can’t afford to get a Finding for not having receipts.
- Roger asked why we are spending money on signs when we are supposed to be cutting down on signs. Jenny said Ed asked for turning lane signs. Harry said we need to use signs for safety reasons. Without proper signage, they can’t enforce.
- Roger asked Norm if the school orders monthly. Norm said not necessarily every month, but periodically. Jenny said she called Greg Reink and let him know we would like to order on April 23rd.
- Linda asked about the three dumpsters we are charged for. One is at the park, one at the service garage, and one at the sewer plant. Are they all filled, or can we merge? Harry thought that all of the dumpsters are being filled.
Motion to recommend the Bills of Resolution to Council by Roger, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
- Roger said Ed is recommending a Vaulcan chopper pump for $12,000. Roger said it would cost about $8,000 to rebuild a pump, and we are currently spending $5,000 per year in labor because of this pump. For the $13,000 we could buy the new one, which is approved by the Navy and even recommended by John Clark. Ben wondered why Ed didn’t say that at our workshop meeting. Roger said this pump will save water.
- Linda asked if we would still have to tear down the new pump on a weekly basis? Roger said the man at the plant that Ed visited said it has never been torn down. Linda asked if they have the screens protecting that pump that we don’t have. Donna said Ed plans to get the screens either way. He plans to have Paul Jansen fabricate a screen or basket regardless. The baskets will be a couple thousand. Ben said he will still spend time cleaning out the baskets.
- Donna said we are looking at the same cost as Ed presented to us at the workshop. The cost to rebuild one pump this year and another next year is $16,000. Ed said he could either buy one new pump or rebuild two. Donna said she asked Ed about the life expectancy of rebuilt pumps, and Ed said 2 years. Roger said we are currently using water to lubricate the pumps, and the new ones use an oil base and we would save water and electric from the pump.
- Jenny said we really need someone to nit-pic the sewer budget and see where we can cut. We keep tapping into the General Fund and then the General Fund goes in the red. Each fund should support itself. Roger said Streetsboro assesses all residents a maintenance fee for the sewer plant. Jenny said their rates are a fraction of ours. Ben said there may be a difference if they are statutory city instead of chartered. Ben said we need to get a dollar amount from Ed so Jenny can do a Resolution for Council.
- Linda asked if the one ton is fixed. Donna said yes, it is. Are the other two S-10’s fixed? Jenny said Tim Wojtas fixed Ed’s truck, and the other one is fixed.
- Jenny said as requested by Linda Clark, she made a spreadsheet regarding expenses versus revenues. We are making money, partly because we no longer pay anyone to manage the Park Lodge books and inspect and clean after each use.
- Jenny said we had a complaint about dirty windows and sills and areas that re not cleaned up by people that are renting the lodge. She thought we should consider having it “Spring cleaned” twice a year. Windows could be washed, the fireplace cleaned, the floors stripped and waxed (if they are waxed) walls washed, and other things. Roger suggested the girl that cleans the hall. Harry said he would check with Lisa, the lady that cleans the Village Hall and see if she is interested and what she would charge.
- Linda felt the spreadsheet was not accurate because there was no cost listed for paper products or insurance. Jenny said she was right.
- Ben brought up the 2011 budget. Jenny said she just received it 24 hours ago, even after requesting to the Department Heads to provide her a copy on the 1st of April at the last Council meeting. She said she has not had time to review it. Donna said that it was her fault, not the Department Heads, and the ORC does not state that. Jenny felt strongly that she as the Financial Officer should have seen the budgets. Harry said “You are not my boss” and Jenny said she feels that she should be seeing it before it goes to the County. Donna said it does not have to be submitted until July 15th. Jenny said she would like to go three readings for the budget. Ben said it should not be a problem for someone involved in the budget process to get it when asked. Jenny said we should be able to work as a team. Ben said we will turn in a balanced budget no matter what.
- Norm found a 2001 Chevy 2500 Series Heavy Duty ¾ ton pick up truck with only 38,000 miles, a Florida truck and very clean for $9,900. He gave the information to Ed. Jenny said something in that price range could be split between several funds, pay cash and not incur debt.
- Harry got an e-mail from the Federal Government stating that the COPS grant has been extended for another year. He would like to ask for two Officers. The grant would pay all costs for these officers for three years, and the Village must agree to keep them on for another year. Harry said we should apply and show need for three and accept one. Harry was asked to have Michele prepare a resolution for next month.
- Harry said the Safety Committee recommends that Judy gets restored to her hourly rate from when she was laid off. Retired Officers were rehired at their previous rates. Raises for new hires before 2007 included step raises. Nobody got those and they were agreed upon when hired. Ben thought we addressed that in the Personnel manual. This would involve three employees that did not get their steps. Ben asked Harry if it is in his budget. He said yes, it can be managed within his appropriations. The Finance Committee agreed that we should honor the step raises. Judy’s increase would have to go to Council, but not the others.
- Linda Clark asked if we need an inventory list or dollar amount relating to the office furniture we got from C.T. Consultants. Donna said she did prepare an itemized list. She and Roger donated truck expenses $150 including gas, Mike May was hired as a private contractor and their own time.
- Donna said the ballot issue article will be going into the newspapers. She is going to simplify what Brenda Fargo gave her. She wondered about doing an “all send” regarding the Public Hearing, and wondered if the Village would cover it. Ben and Linda agreed that people just hang up on those calls.
- Roger Hawkins felt we should give the Scouts a picnic for all of their hard work on the projects they are doing for the Community. Jenny said it is a nice idea and she would donate food, but was not sure we could use taxpayers’ money for this. Harry said Council would have to vote. Linda agreed that it would be better if we could all donate. Jenny said we could donate the Park Lodge, and everyone could donate towards meat and bring a dish.
Motion to adjourn at 8:18 P.M. by Linda, seconded by Roger. All ayes on vote.
Ben Prescott, Chair of Finance
Jenny August, Clerk-Treasurer