Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
April 14th, 2011
Call to Order- 6:00 P.M.
Roll Call: Linda Clark, Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins
Others: Clerk-Treasurer Jenny August, Mayor Donna Hawkins
Motion to approve the Minutes from the March meeting by Roger, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
Jenny gave the Financial reports. Jenny said the Auditor is winding down our audit. He has issues with the advances made to the water-sewer fund. He feels that we need to include a repayment schedule for each advance. We have legislation correcting this. Jenny attended the Local Gov’t Conference and learned that we will be losing money in the General Fund due to Local Government cuts. The Fund status at the end of March was $365,995. Revenues were $136,809. Expenses including payroll totaled $78,818. There were no fund adjustments. Water and Sewer reconciled exactly, as did Income Tax. The bank reconciliation went through with no adjusting factors. As for the two new reports, one focuses on receipts, the other on revenues. They are kind of like status reports letting us know where we are throughout the year as far as what we expected to spend and receive. The receipts are on target, and the expenditures are slightly over. Motion to move the Financial Reports to Council by Ben, seconded by Roger. All ayes on vote.
Bills of Resolution:
- Linda asked why regarding line 13 and 14- why three months worth all at once? Jenny said we never received one for February, and in March we held the Council meeting early and the invoice had not arrived before then.
- Linda asked if line 22 regarding Harry going to conference- was this approved by Council? Ben said no. Donna said at the time of the last meeting, Harry wasn’t sure if he was going. Linda asked if Harry had it in his budget since she noticed on the requisition that Harry said Jenny would need to move money to create the PO.
- Linda asked about Bailey Rentals. Donna said they were going to try to get rid of the storage unit this month.
- Linda said on line 103, this had doubled.
- Linda noted a price increase on line 128.
- Jenny said regarding the Verizon phone bills, employees will have to identify all calls and pay tax on any personal calls.
- Roger questioned line 141- the Lowe’s gift card for $1000. Jenny said that Anthony was told to stock the Service garage with tools, and if he bought the gift card, he would get an additional $25 in free stuff.
- Roger asked what line 15 is. Jenny said that is reimbursing the Police Department petty cash fund. Most of it is cleaning supplies purchased by the cleaning lady. Jenny said the Auditor was not real happy about this one. She is paying tax on cleaning supplies. The Auditor felt the departments should be doing their own shopping.
Motion to recommend the Bills of Resolution to Council by Ben, seconded by Roger. All ayes on vote.
Linda reviewed the legislation that will be presented at the Council meeting.
- 2010-40 Regarding Cemetery business, Linda said that Marty and Michele requested that motions be made to amend 2010-40 and 2009-57 regarding charges for fee’s.
--Motion to amend 2009-57 section 955.01 to add a five grave plot at a cost of $900 for residents and $1250 for non-residents by Linda Clark, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
--Motion to amend to amend section 2010-40 section 145.04 to add the Cemetery Board may recommend expenditures to the Village Council for consideration. Ben asked if we will be taking this off the table. Linda said yes.
- 2011-7 amending Codified Ordinance Chapter 139 to define guidelines for Auxiliary Officers. Ben said he doesn’t want this to give raises, everyone is hired at will. Donna suggested tabling it and discussing it with Michele. Linda said we will table this one.
- 2011-10 Wage Ordinance. Linda asked if everyone got the copy she e-mailed to everyone with her suggestions. Donna said we should fail this one and we could start new. Ben said to just amend this one. Roger said schedule a,b,c,d. Ben said go ahead and just vote this down and we will start fresh.
- 2011-19 Roger asked what the emergency is. Jenny said that the new agreement was already approved.
- 2011-20 Roger said a private entity accumulates the bill, it was an agreement. The Potato Festival benefited. We are low on money, and it’s unethical. Linda Clark said there is “Hearsay” that the old Council made a motion to forgive the utilities. Do we charge the Lions or the Scouts? Roger said the Potato Festival is a money maker, is a 501C3 and we are showing favoritism to a Council member. Donna said she is bothered by the wording in Section 1. She doesn’t like the words “Maybe and hypothetical”. Ben said there just isn’t a way to break out the bills. Donna said it was a signed lease.
- 2011-24 Increasing 2011 appropriations in Water Capital Improvement Fund 5761. This is to pay the bills for the emergency water plant. 4901 is the fund for the grant portion of the emergency well pump, but our matching funds are coming out of Water Capital Improvements.
- 2011-25 Retroactively approving pay increases that happened earlier this year in the Police Department. It was approved by Safety and Finance, but not by Council.
- 2011-26 Enacting chapter 157 in the Codified Ordinances relating to Personnel Information. Ben wants it tabled. Linda said we have three months to discuss it.
- 2011-27 Then and Now Purchase order for AKE Labs. Linda said we need to suspend the rules and pay these bills. We could not do the P.O. because we had hoped to barter. Anything then and now purchase order over $3,000 needs to be approved by Council in an Ordinance.
- 2011-28 This is to re-designate advances that were made to Water & Sewer Debt funds that should have been made to Water & Sewer Operating Funds. This needs changed because a debt fund can’t repay an advance. Jenny said we need to suspend the rules.
- 2011-29 This is making a repayment schedule for Water & Sewer advances. Donna said we should reduce the water repayment to $100 per month until 2017 when the water plant is paid off, and then pay off all at once. She also suggested that Council consider forgiving the sewer advances. Ben said to leave it as is because General Fund will be hit next year with reduced funding and needs the money put back.
- 2011-30 This one re-designating several advances to be permanent transfers since either the funds are closed or unable to repay the advances. They are basically advances that are being forgiven.
C.T. Consultants invoice.
We need to ask Council to approve this and pay it out of the grant. We need to put this on the Council agenda. Donna said the formal papers were filed last week. Donna said the project is almost done.
Linda said we must have this finished by September 1st. She asked where are the estimates?
Linda said Anthony does not have the plans. Donna said he has the plans that Ben drew up. Donna said this needs to go to Service
Portable potties for the Park.
Anthony is looking for a good price.
Misuse of Village Equipment.
This concerns people using the fax or copy machine for personal use. Nobody should be using this equipment except office personnel.
Tier 2 DMRC Grant.
Donna explained the OPWC Grant request for infrastructure. These are grants that will require matching funds. Ben & Linda both agreed that we can’t match any funds right now.
Jenny explained what she learned about budgeting at the conference. She learned that all we have to submit to the County Auditor is a breakdown of “Personnel” and “Other”. Harry and Anthony don’t necessarily have to go to a lot of trouble in breaking out a line item budget. That comes into play with the 2012 appropriations. Jenny said other Clerks said their Department Heads don’t submit budgets. The Clerk’s do the budget, and the Department Heads do the Appropriations.
Proposed ordinance- amending Section 4.4.1 in the Personnel Handbook. Linda said there should be absolutely no overtime without the Department Heads explaining and justifying the emergency. Scheduling issues are not emergencies. Linda said in the Police Department has someone who works 17 hours straight because people call off. Roger said that is Harry’s problem. Linda said a Seasonal Employee was hired as a part time position, yet he gets overtime nearly every pay, and Tom still gets overtime every weekend. Someone should be checking those plants instead of Tom so we don’t have overtime. It’s all scheduling issues. Roger said if someone is doing two jobs and filling in for someone, it should be straight time. We should be able to find someone within two hours to cover rather than working two full shifts in a row. Roger asked if Harry was on salary, would he be responsible for covering that shift? Roger said we need an overtime equalization.
Employee Status Change.
Discussion was about making changing Jeff Davis’s employee status from Seasonal to Part time. All agreed. Donna suggested that we can change him from Seasonal to Part time without changing his pay. Ben said there should be no overtime. Ben said part time should be 25 hours per week. Linda thought we could give him 30 hours. If Anthony needs more than that, they can hire another Seasonal employee.
No citizens attended this evening.
- Ben discussed Government mandated storm water utilities. He said it might be assessed on peoples taxes. Jenny said she thought they were already doing it in the townships. There was discussion about how it may be charged. Linda said even though there are no storm sewers out on the back roads, they will still assess the property owner.
- Linda said Anthony wants a new truck. He found one for $40,000. She went to the DAS website and found a similar one for $28,000 with the plow package. Jenny said they have to get something because they are pouring a ton of money into repairs on the ones we have. Ben said Council may have to shop for the truck and take everyone else out of the shopping part of it.
Motion to adjourn at 8:37 P.M. by Linda, seconded by Ben. All ayes on vote.
Linda Clark, Chair of Finance Committee
Clerk-Treasurer Jenny August