Village of Mantua
Finance Committee Meeting
January 14, 2010
Call to Order: 6:30 P.M.
Roll Call: Ben Prescott, Roger Hawkins
Others: Jenny August, Donna Hawkins, and Councilwoman Linda Clark.
Minutes: Regarding the jet truck, Ben said we need to determine exactly what needs to be done to get it running. Donna recommended going on E-Bay or a Government website to get the parts we need at a better price.
Motion to approve the Minutes from the December meeting by Roger Hawkins, seconded by Ben Prescott. Both ayes on vote.
Financial Reports: Jenny gave the Financial reports. The Fund status at the end of December was $174,021. Revenues were $88,863.65. Expenses totaled $325,431.04 because of the OWDA payment. Water and Sewer reconciled exactly, as did Income Tax, and the bank reconciliation went through with no adjusting factors. Water and Sewer both ended the year with negative balances. Jenny said we should consider splitting Donna Maynards wages three ways instead of just Water-Sewer. Charge 1/3 to Streets. Year end final reports for auditors are nearly complete.
Legislation: Ben reviewed the legislation that will be presented at the Council meeting Tuesday.
- 2009-59 - Amending the Personnel handbook to change the evaluations to annually instead of quarterly.
- 2009-60 - Amending the Codified Ordinances to change the evaluations to annually instead of quarterly.
- 2009-65 - Authorizing Jenny to attend Public Records training on behalf of the Village employees.
- 2009-67 - Amending building height in zoning code
- 2009-68 - Applicants must use our Zoning forms.
- 2009-69 - Renumbering chapters in the zoning ordinances
- 2010-01 - Journalizing appointment of Committee members
- 2010-02 - Ordinance putting electric aggregation on the ballot
- 2010-03 - Resolution that $50,000 from electric company goes into street repairs.
- 2010-04 - Resolution amending 2010 appropriations
Bills of Resolution:
- Ben asked about replacing the drill hole cutter that the Scouts broke while working on the Glacial Esker deck.
- Linda Clark questioned the C.T. Consultant invoice. Jenny explained that she e-mailed Brian and asked for a breakdown of the five hours and has not gotten it. Linda felt we should leave the bill pending until we get a breakdown. Finance agreed.
- Linda questioned why we are buying markers at Mantua Drug. Linda Clark asked about the Village ordering office supplies from the schools. She asked if Jenny could be authorized to send a memo to each Department Head requesting a list of supplies used, toner, etc., so we could get cost comparisons from the school. Finance Committee agreed. Roger thought we could keep a large supply of stuff in the Clerks Office and pass supplies out as needed. Jenny thought it would make it difficult to split out the bills when we order.
- Regarding the heat bills, Linda wondered about the Park. The bill really spiked. Jenny said it says on the contract to turn the heat down when you leave. Linda suggested putting a timer or programmable thermostat on. Donna wondered if there are two furnaces. Are we paying for the American Legions side?
- Regarding the Potato Festival Building, Linda spoke with Harold Ulmann and there was a refrigerator plugged in inside the Lions concession stand. There is also a mercury light on it, and she wondered if it could be turned off since there is another one just 20 feet away at the basketball courts. We should check with the Chief.
- Lastly, Linda asked if we could put the Christmas lights on a timer at the mini park since the electric bill at the mini park increased about $100.00 last month.
- Linda asked if we found out about taxing employees for uniforms? Jenny said she spoke with Harry, and their uniforms are not taxable since they cant be worn in normal outings other than work.
Motion to recommend the Bills of Resolution to Council by Roger, seconded by Ben. Both ayes on vote.
Leave Balances and overtime:
- Ben said we need to eliminate longevity for any new employees. We also need to max out vacation time at 240 hours. Right now our liability is too high. Jenny gave a total of how much we pay out for each of the five employees that are receiving it. Ben said the City of Cleveland is doing away with it, Kent State has done away with it, Hiram also has, and he doesnt see why we cant. Donna said we should freeze it and not give it to new employees, but does not feel it would be right to take it away from those that are earning it. Ben said we need to look at the books, and find a way to relieve the Sewer fund.
- Ben said Harry is earning more Holiday pay than the other full time employees. Finance agreed that he should get 8 hours like everyone else. They also agreed that he can keep the 6 extra hours he earned on the last three holidays.
- Ben said overtime should be after 40 hours, not after 8 hours. Roger said if someone comes in and works 8 hours, then comes in and plows for 6 hours they should get time and a half. Ben said if they work their normal 40 hour schedule, it ends up being overtime at the end of the week. Jenny said most of the Police Officers work over 8 hours in a day but dont get time and a half. Ben said we cant have one department getting overtime after 8 hours when others dont. Linda read a notice from the Fair Labor Standards Act. It stated that overtime is only paid in excess of 40 hours.
- Jenny said we need to make sure all part time employees are earning sick leave, or none of the part time employees get it. Right now the Police Department earns it, but Service employees do not. Jenny was directed to get with Michele to do a resolution stating that only full time employees earn sick leave. It is all part of cleaning up the handbook, but to get it stopped now, we need a resolution. Those that have received it, should get to keep it.
- Linda Clark asked about the Time Warner Cable contract. Jenny said she pulled the last contract for Michele, which was 1999. Donna said since there were no changes, it just rolls into a new contract. Linda said we need to negotiate for free high speed internet for Village offices.
- Linda asked why does the Service Dept. charge hours to General Fund for shoveling & plowing at the Police Dept? Jenny said the Police dont charge hours to water & sewer when they patrol the plants.
- Linda asked about bidding out McCoy Septic or seeing if we can get the tank cleaned out less often. She wondered if we could put a meter to see how much water is going in. Roger said they wash the trucks after they plow. Maybe that water is going in. Donna said she will talk to Ed.
- This year can the Service Committee be more involved in bidding out the mowing contract. Ben said to tell Ed to share the bids with the Service Committee.
Motion to adjourn at 7:52 P.M. by Roger, seconded by Ben. Both ayes on vote.
Ben Prescott, Chair of Finance
Jenny August, Clerk-Treasurer